Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I'm Heterozygous

My hematologist called today to let me know the results of my recent blood test. I have a history of Factor V Leiden in my family, which if you have means you are prone to blood clots. You can have one or two genes that are abnormal. I have one which means I am slightly more at risk than the average person. My doctor recommended that I go off any hormones (ie. birth control) as that seems to be a trigger in my family. My mom had a blood clot while pregnant with me. I'm super upset now because all the non-hormonal birth control methods suck! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

2 comments:

Heather said...

HAHA you're totally going to get pregnant now!

Glad you FINALLY got the test though...

Allison said...

Glad you finally know. Sorry about the birth control. I know firsthand how much the non-hormonal forms stink. Factor V Leiden is definitely a pain. The good news is that I haven't had a blood clot in six pregnancies, and that's a lot of hormonal change!